Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's Next?


Love has brought me- a Lawrence, Kansas girl- here to South Louisiana. Fifteen months ago I would have never thought it- love or Louisiana- a possibility. And yet here I sit in a warm and cozy 1920’s house wondering what’s next.

One big “next” is this little thing called a wedding. Brian and I are getting married in the spring. It is going to be a small, classic yet relaxed wedding for friends and family. What I failed to realized was that planning a small wedding is as involved as planning a big wedding.  We’ve got most of the biggies taken care of- dress, tux, bridesmaid dresses, priest, flowers, cake, reception, and photographer. Still need to find a DJ (help!).

But now it’s the little things that are starting to stress me out- and it’s always the little things that stress me out. How are we getting to the church? To the reception? When are we going to decorate for the reception? What if nobody comes? What if everybody comes? Should I get someone to do my makeup? I don’t usually wear a lot of makeup, so I want to make sure I look like myself. But I want to look good in the pictures. After all we’re paying a lot for them. But I don’t want to be” Sadie the Painted Lady”. AHHHHHH! These are the things I’m thinking about when we’re sitting on the couch and Brian says “What are you thinking about?” and I say “Nothing.” He wouldn’t get it. I love him but he just wouldn’t get it.

So we’ve got that going on. And then there is everything that goes along with moving to a new city – finding your favorite grocery store, figuring out the best walking location, who is the best veterinarian, etc. etc.  And, of course, there is the “next” that is figuring out what I want to do with my new life in the South.

I am a writer. Up until this point I’ve always had a “regular” job. None of them had “writer” in the position title but somehow I always finagled my way into doing whatever writing needed to be done. I love it. I love/hate the process and I really love when I’m finished.

I am in the enviable position of having the freedom to decide what I want to make of my life down here.  But total freedom can be scary. The options:

1.       Get a “regular” job which would give me the opportunity to meet new people and a steady income.
2.       Strike out on my own and become a freelance writer.
3.       Anything else I want to do.

So, what am I going to do? I’ll keep you posted. It changes from day to day. For instance, today I sat down and began a list of organizations I would like to do some writing for. And when I was done with that, I decided it was a good idea to make some Champagne Strawberry Cupcakes with a White Chocolate Buttercream.

Oh yeah- I’m also a baker. I love it. I find it relaxing. I won’t be as relaxed in five weeks at my wedding dress fitting but oh well. 


Stay tuned for what’s next.

No comments:

Post a Comment